Getting dental implants is no joke. It’s a serious surgical intervention that requires long-term preparation. Lot’s of effort goes into their installation and they are not cheap. That is why the rules of pre- and postop care must be carefully followed to make sure all that work won’t be done in vain.
Installation of dental implants is the most important stage of the entire affair. This is the moment when your new teeth are planted into your mouth. However, post-op recovery requires the most attention and responsibility. Having a neglectful attitude can ruin everything by preventing the implant to fuse properly. In the worst case, it can lead to the development of purulent inflammation.
How to Eat After the Operation
In order for your new teeth to successfully fuse, you should be very attentive to what you eat. Even things like temperature and the technique of chewing are important. Here are some key points to follow in your postop recovery period:
1. Regardless of how hungry you might be, don’t eat anything during the first two hours after the operation. Your body needs time to recover from anesthesia and surgical intervention.
2. During the first week after the procedure, eat soft and minced food ONLY. Avoid temperature extremes; your food must be comfortably warm. Also, avoid spices that will irritate your healing wound.
3. Avoid chewing on the side that was sutured. Use the opposite side of your mouth to process food.
4. Throughout the entire osseointegration process, your food must be rich in vitamins and nutrients to help your body fuse the implant properly.
5. Enrich your daily menu with products rich in calcium. Your bone tissues need this nutrient more than ever.
6. Avoid eating hard products like nuts or seeds until the process of osseointegration is complete. The strain over the fusing implant can cause it to displace.
7. If you had a sinus lift surgery, you will have to avoid drinking through the straw and try not to cough or sneeze. These additional precautions help prevent an implant and bone graft from failure.
A successful implant fusion is not only a matter of careful eating. Other spheres of your life also require certain restrictions to make it successful. Here are some things to watch out for:
1. Avoid heavy physical strain throughout the entire osseointegration process, may it be exercises or work.
2. Quit bad habits like smoking and alcohol consumption.
3. Avoid overheating, overcooling, or temperature extremes.
Following these rules may be bothersome, but it is necessary to avoid problems with dental implants in the process of their integration. Of course, regular visits to the dentist throughout the entire recovery period is a must. Take care of your new teeth and they will serve you for many years to come.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!