The Duchess of Cambridge paid a surprise visit to meet the victims of the London Bridge terror attack as they are recovering in hospital.
According to The Evening Standard,
Kate, 35, arrived at King’s College Hospital in Denmark Hill, south-east London, shortly before 2pm on Monday.
During the visit which was not publicised in advance, she also met with doctors and medical staff who helped to treat victims injured in the atrocity.
Duchess was met by Nick Moberly, the hospital’s Chief Executive and Medical Director Professor Julia Wendon, who showed her around the hospital’s emergency department and trauma wards.
Kate spoke to six patients who are still being treated and praised the efforts of doctors and nurses who were working on the night of the attack, saying: “Well done.”
King’s College Hospital was one of two hospitals to receive the bulk of the casualties following the terror attack on Saturday, June 3 which left eight people dead and 48 injured.
In total, 14 people were admitted to the hospital, predominantly suffering from stab wounds.
The Duchess of Cambridge was overheard asking a female staff member if she had received enough emotional support to help her deal with the aftermath of the atrocity.
She replied: “We look after each other.”
Speaking about the night of the attack, head of nursing Lynne Watkins-Hulme told the Duchess of Cambridge: “What was really noticeable on Saturday night was the amount of female patients that were involved.
“That was quite traumatic for the staff. We are not used to so many females being injured.”
She added: “We are used to seeing people who are stabbed.
“But to have six women who were stabbed, multiple times – it was just the amount of people – that was upsetting.”
Many of the staff who tended to patients after the London Bridge atrocity were also working on March 22 when Khalid Masood killed five people in an attack on Westminster Bridge.
Kate said: “To go through this sort of event twice, it is quite unprecedented.
“What sort of training do you go through?”
She also spoke to emergency consultant Malcolm Tunnicliff, who had been on his way home from playing cricket when he heard news of the incident and made his way to the hospital.
He said: “We are very, very used to dealing with stabbings in this area.
“We are one of the busiest hospitals in western Europe for dealing with penetrating injuries, but it was the volume and it is usually young men that stab each other, and there were quite a lot of ladies who were stabbed.
“We got through a lot of kit in an hour and a half. Probably what we go through in a week.”