1. They sneak into your mind at the most random times. You go to Walmart to buy Goldfish crackers and all of sudden, in the middle of the aisle, you break into a big, goofy smile and just think OMFG I AM SO FREAKING HAPPY. Your insides melt into a puddle of mush and your day instantly brightens just thinking about them. It’s a buzz that’s better than Starbucks.
2. You’ve changed the way you store your bae’s name in your phone like three times. At first it was “bae ?” and then it was “bae ?” and now it’s more like “B?A?E.”
3. Your phone is basically a museum gallery of selfies together. You’reguilty of spending five minutes – then fifteen minutes – then an hour – browsing through months of them at a time and it makes you dumb with happiness. Each picture is a tiny reminder that you’ve found your person.
4. You’ve got photos on your phone of the dumbest things. Like a blurry Snapchat of literally nothing. But you save them because you know who they came from, and that’s what makes them special.
5. You two know each other so well that you communicate in shorthand. For instance, when texting, you both know the difference between a why-are-you-annoyed-with-me question mark and a hey-how-was-the-exam-are-you-still-alive question mark.
6. Even though you talk all the time, you don’t freak out if you’ve gone a few hours without being in touch. You guys trust each other and the silence doesn’t send you into a drama spiral, like it did with some shady-butt exes.
7. You used to think buying gifts was the worst, but now it’s super-easy. Practically every time you go to the mall or fall down an Amazon-hole you see one million things that you know your bae would love. It’s almost as fun as shopping for yourself, tbh.
8. Sometimes you fall in love with your bae’s hotness all over again. Likewhen bae wears something you love – that hat you got at that one show – they just look so cute you could die. Other people say that feeling of butterflies fades over time. You are not other people.
9. They know exactly how you like your Chipotle burrito bowl. There is no realer test of true love.
10. They know all your favorite TV shows. They def know better than to disturb you during, say, Tuesdays at 8 p.m.
11. On that note, they can name all of the Pretty Little Liars – not because they care necessarily, but because they know you do.
12. They run interference. When you’re hanging out in a group and someone puts you on the spot about your dad’s job or some drama over college applications, he or she senses your dread and swoops in to change the subject. You glance at them quickly to say thank you with your eyes, because you’ve mastered the art of communicating without words.
13. The tiniest physical gesture makes you dizzy with love. He or she squeezes your hand unexpectedly and it’s like a hug for your heart.
14. At the same time, your partner 100% respects your physical limits. You never argue over stuff like that, because you’d never dream of making the other person feel uncomfortable about hooking up or anything else. It’s annoying when your parents try to give you The Sex Talk because you’re not like crazed hornballs from made-for-TV-movies. It’s so not even like that.
15. Your mom teases you about how she can always tell when you’re talking to him or her on the phone because you have a special bae-voice. You don’t really know what she’s talking about – dude, it’s your regular voice! – but you kind of like the teasing anyway.
16. You don’t feel stressed about the future. You know graduation, college, and life in general are going to change everything in a million ways both tiny and huge, but you don’t feel stressed about it. When you’re with someone who makes you happy constantly, the future isn’t scary, it’s exciting.
17. Honestly, that whole thing about having a special song? It seems fake because there are a million songs that remind you of your BF or GF. The song that came up on your playlist five separate times on the two-hour drive to the amusement park … the song the pep band always plays win you win basketball games … that one Hulu commercial jingle that isn’t funny to anyone else, but cracks you both up every time you hear it because it’s one of your many inside jokes.
18. You spend so much time at each other’s houses, your separate Netflix profiles have basically merged into one giant “recommended for you” melting pot.
19. Their pain is your pain. When something bad happens to your bae, it hits you in the gut so hard it’s like it’s happening to you.
20. On that note, your BF or GF would never do that thing where they get silent and moody and don’t tell you what’s wrong. When bad sh*t happens, you have to talk about it with each other.
21. Things aren’t perfect all the time. You guys fight over stupid stuff and he or she inevitably has some annoying habits, like listening to weird music or insisting on wearing jeans that are 2000-and-late. And sometimes you have doubts about the relationship in general. All that is normal! But what’s special about your bond is that the little things don’t slowly eat away at you and wear down your love. They kind of just fall by the wayside because you know how to work through them or when to agree to disagree.
22. They *get* that your friends are life. When you’re like, I know we were supposed to hang out tonight but Gena is freaking out about this guy she’s dating and I told her we could get pizza and I should have asked you first but she’s really bummed and can we – he or she pretty much cuts you off. It’s fine! It’s fine. And, like, it’s actually fine.
23. You have a special phrase that only has meaning to you. Like in The Fault in Our Stars when Augustus says “maybe ‘okay’ will be our ‘always,'” except it’s real.
24. You text this article to your bae and they’re just like: ?
25. They know how to make you laugh. No one, no one, can crack you up like they can, because laughter is the outward sign of how unbelievably happy you are on the inside.
Follow Seventeen on Instagram!
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!