Manchester City and Manchester United have donated a combined £1 million to a fund for victims of the Manchester bomb attack.
The clubs made the donation to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, set up following the attack at the Manchester Arena on Monday night.
The explosion killed 22 people and injured scores of others, several of them critically.
United held a minute’s silence and wore black armbands ahead of the Europa League final against Ajax on Wednesday, dedicating their victory to the victims.
City tweeted “#ACityUnited” following United’s win in Stockholm and the club’s women’s team will hold a minute’s silence and wear black armbands at their match against Chelsea Ladies tonight.
City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: “We have all been humbled by the strength and solidarity shown by the people of Manchester in the days since the attack.
“The hope of both our clubs is that our donation will go some small way to alleviate the daunting challenges faced by those directly affected and that our acting together will serve as a symbol to the world of the unbreakable strength of the spirit of Manchester.”
Ed Woodward, United’s executive chairman, said: “The barbarism of Monday evening’s attack has shocked everyone. Our clubs are right at the heart of our local communities in Manchester, and it is right that we present a unified response to this tragedy.
“The money will help, of course but the work of the two clubs and their respective foundation and community scheme can build on the fantastic spirit that Mancunians have shown in the immediate aftermath.”
(Previously published at kwese.espn.com,
Click here for more )